You’ve bought a map, put fuel in your car and now all you need is some inspiring road trip quotes to encourage you to start your journey!
In my opinion, there is nothing more freeing than starting your engine and driving off into the sunset. Road tripping in South America has become increasingly popular over the years as the desire to get off the beaten track has grown.
Not only do road trips give you the freedom to go wherever you want but they also provide the opportunity to really get under the skin of a destination, something that few of us can really claim to do.
This incredible list of road trip quotes has wisdom for every occasion, whether you are looking to ignite your wanderlust or find a profound caption for your Instagram. All of these quotes capture the very essence of what it is that makes a road trip so special.
80 Best Road Trip Quotes
Open Road Quotes
1. ‘The freedom of the open road is seductive, serendipitous and absolutely liberating.’ – Aaron Lauritsen.
2. ‘I love road trips. You get into this Zen rhythm; throw the sense of time out the window.’ – Miriam Toews.
3. ‘The concept of time, as it’s commonly understood by normal people with normal jobs and normal goddamn lives, doesn’t exist on the road. The nights spread out like the dark, godforsaken highways that distinguish them, and the days run together like Thanksgiving dinner smothered in gravy. You never really know where you are or what time it is, and the outside world starts to fade away. It’s cool.’ – Tiffanie DeBartolo.
4. ‘I take to the open road. Healthy, free, the world before me.’ – Walt Whitman.
5. ‘The open road is there, it will always be there. You just have to decide when to take it.’ – Chris Humphrey.
Road Trip With Friends Quotes
6. ‘No road is long with good company.’ – Turkish proverb.
7. ‘Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter.’ – Izaak Walton.
8. ‘It doesn’t matter where you’re going. It’s who you have beside you.’ – Brian Tracy.
9. ‘Traveling in the company of those we love is home in motion.’ – Leigh Hunt.
10. ‘A road trip is a way for the whole family to spend time together and annoy each other in interesting new places.’ – Tom Lichtenheld.
11. ‘Sometimes all you need is a great friend and a tank of gas.’ – Unknown.
Road Trip Instagram Captions
12. ‘Travel. It leaves you speechless and then turns you in a storyteller.’ – Ibn Battuta.
13. ‘Everything I was I carry with me, everything I will be lies waiting on the road ahead.’ – Ma Jian.
14. ‘If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.’ – Lewis Carroll.
15. ‘Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.’ – Muriel Strode.
16. ‘Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.’ – Erol Ozan.
17. ‘Look for chances to take the less traveled roads. There are no wrong turns.’ – Susan Magsamen.
18. ‘Don’t expect the unexpected. Let the unexpected expect you.’ – Kiara Maharaj.
19. ‘It feels good to be lost in the right direction.’ – Unknown.
20.‘Two roads diverged in a wood – and I took the one less travelled.’ – Robert Frost.
21. ‘I could spend my life arriving each evening in a new city.’ – Bill Bryson.
22. ‘All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road.’ – Jack Kerouac.
Long Drive Quotes
23. ‘Map out your future – but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip.’ – Jon Bon Jovi.
24. ‘Road trips aren’t measured by mile markers but by moments.’ – Unknown.
25. ‘I climb behind the steering wheel… I drive off immediately without once looking back; it’s a long journey, but it leads to freedom.’ – Corinne Hofmann.
26. ‘Now, on this road trip, my mind seemed to uncrinkle, to breathe, to present to itself a cure for a disease it had not, until now, known it had.’ – Elizabeth Berg.
27. ‘God made the world round so we would never able to see too far down the road.’ – Isak Dinesen.
Famous Road Trip Quotes
28. ‘I can speak to my soul only when the two of us are off exploring deserts or cities or mountains or roads.’ – Paulo Coelho.
29. ‘Still, round the corner, there may wait, A new road or a secret gate.’ – J.R.R. Tolkien.
30. ‘I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.’ – Robert Louis Stevenson.
31. ‘I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.’ – Douglas Adams.
32. ‘As you start travelling down that road of life, remember this: there are never enough comfort stops. The places you are going are never on the map, and once you get that map out, you won’t be able to re-fold it no matter how smart you are. So forget the map, roll down the windows, and whenever you can, pull over and have a picnic.’ – Jim Hensen.
Inspirational Road Trip Quotes
33. ’I just go with the flow, I follow the yellow brick road. I don’t know where it is going to lead me, but I follow it.’ – Grace Jones.
34. ‘All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.’ – Martin Buber.
35. ‘We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.’ – T.S. Elliot.
36. ‘At the end of the day, I understand that life has roadblocks, and life is like school – you’ll be tested; we gotta pass it.’ – DJ Khaled.
37. ‘Wherever you get to is better than where you started. To stay on the road is a massive achievement.’ – Anthony Joshua.
38. ‘She wasn’t where she had been. She wasn’t where she was going, but she was on her way.’ – Jodi Hills.
39. ’The pleasure we derive from journeys is perhaps dependent more on the mindset with which we travel than on the destination we travel to.’ – Alain de Botton.
40. ‘Somewhere on your journey, don’t forget to turn around and enjoy the view.’ – Unknown.
41. ‘When all’s said and done, all roads lead to the same end. So it’s not so much which road you take, as how you take it.’ – Charles de Lint.
42. ‘If you make the mistakes of looking back too much, you aren’t focused enough on the road in front of you.’ – Brad Paisley
43. ‘Don’t die without embracing the daring adventure your life was meant to be.’ – Steve Pavlina.
44. ‘Life is beautiful if you are on the road to somewhere.’ – Orhan Pamuk.
45. ‘Road trips are the equivalent of human wings. Ask me to go on one, anywhere. We’ll stop in every small town and learn the history and stories, feel the ground, and capture the spirit. Then we’ll turn it into our own story that will live inside our history to carry with us, always. Because stories are more important than things.’ – Victoria Erickson.
46. ‘Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but it is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.’ – Pat Conroy.
Funny Road Trip Quotes
47. ‘I’m not lost. I’m exploring.’ – Jana Stanfield.
48. ‘Road trips require a couple of things: a well-balanced diet of caffeine, salt and sugar and an excellent selection of tunes – oh, and directions.’ – Jenn McKinlay.
49. ‘Kilometers are shorter than miles. Save gas, take your next trip in kilometers.’ – George Carlin.
50. ‘That’s why I love road trips, dude. It’s like doing something without actually doing anything.’ – John Green.
51. ‘Better an oops than a what if.’ – Beau Taplin.
The Best Road Trip Quotes
52. ‘I love being on the road. I love that lifestyle, travelling city to city, rocking out and moving on to the next place.’ – Caleb Johnson.
53. ‘We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.’ – John Hope Franklin.
54. ‘Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are the detours you didn’t mean to take’. – Angela N. Blount.
55. ‘One’s destination is never a place, but rather a new way of seeing things.’ – Henry Miller.
56. ‘You can be writing every day. When you go on a road trip, the trip itself becomes part of the story.’ – Steve Rushin.
57. ‘You don’t choose the day you enter the world and you don’t choose the day you leave. It’s what you do in between that makes all the difference.’ – Anna Septimus.
58. ‘You know more of a road by having traveled it than by all the conjectures and descriptions in the world,’ – William Hazlitt.
59. ‘There is something about the momentum of travel that makes you want to keep moving and never stop.’ – Bill Bryson.
Road Trip Quotes About Adventure
60. ‘I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspired me to travel it.’ – Rosalita de Castro.
61. ‘Because the greatest art of a road trip isn’t arriving at your destination. It’s all the wild stuff that happens along the way.’ – Emma Chase.
62. ‘The road must eventually lead to the whole world.’ – Jack Kerouac.
63. ‘Adventure should be 80 percent ‘I think this is manageable,’ but it’s good to have that last 20 percent where you’re right outside your comfort zone. Still safe, but outside your comfort zone.’ – Bear Grylls.
64. ‘You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart always will be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place.’ – Miriam Adeney.
65. ‘Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.’ – Yvon Chouinard.
Best Short Road Trip Quotes
66. ‘Leave the road, take the trails.’ – Pythagoras.
67. ‘If you come to a fork in the road, take it.’ – Yogi Berra.
68. ‘Roads were made for journeys, not destinations.’ – Confucius.
69. ‘The road goes on forever and the party never ends.’ – Robert Earl Keen.
70. ‘Travel far enough, you meet yourself.’ – David Mitchell.
71. ‘Look on every exit being an entrance somewhere else.’ – Tom Stoppard.
72. ‘Oh, the places you’ll go.’ – Dr Seuss.
73. ‘If you’re on a road trip, you need driving music.’ – Edgar Wright.
74. ‘The journey is the destination.’ – Dan Eldon.
75. ‘Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.’ – Unknown.
76. ‘You may not find a path, but you will find a way.’ – Tom Wolfe.
Quotes About Challenges On The Road
77. ‘Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.’ – Babs Hoffman.
78. ‘Sometimes, the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.’ – Jerry Seinfeld.
79. ‘Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.’ – Anthony Bourdain.
80. ‘Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.’ – Jack Kerouac.
Got a great road tripping quote that we’ve missed? Let us know your favourites in our Facebook Community!