We’re Looking for Travel Writers!
Our first magazine in South East Asia is written by backpackers for backpackers – it’s a travel diary for everyone – jam-packed with thoughts, stories, tips and experiences of sweet life on the open road! You can take a look at back issues of South East Asia Backpacker Magazine here. NOW we’re creating the same magazine in South America – covering new destinations, new cultures and new backpacking trails!
Please, feel free to submit an article to us via the form at the bottom of this page!
What we’re looking for…
Do you have a story or an opinion that you want people to hear, or that isn’t getting enough views on your own travel blog? We’d love to publish your most exciting travel experiences, your destination guides, your learnings on the road and your passionate rants!
We’ll include a bio, and back link to your travel blog and social networks. We’ll also promote the article via our social networks, so that you can get more traffic for your own writings!
Please email us – info (at) southamericabackpacker.com, or get in touch with us via the Contact Us page with some ideas for articles. We get back to every writer that contacts us.
So what type of writing are we looking for?
1. Write a Featured Article
We’re looking for featured articles that we’ll publish as a blog on our homepage. These articles can be opinion pieces, destination spotlights, a story about a recent travel experience or a guide to a particular aspect of backpacking in South East Asia. We are open to writing that’s tongue in cheek, as well as serious travel advice.
Some examples of our most popular articles:
- Top 10 Escapes from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- The Number One Backpacker’s Question: Is South America Safe?
- 7 ways to reach Machu Picchu.
FAQs for Feature Articles
- How long should my article be? We’re not strict, but we’re looking for around 1,000 words.
- Should I send photos with my article? Yes please! When you submit your article please attach a few photos so that we can get a feel for your article overall. Please don’t insert the photos into a Word document, send them as separate attachments.
- What if I have a great article, but no photos? You can either find some ‘usage rights’ free images on Google and send them to us. Or, you can send us just your article and we can use some from our photo bank. It’s up to you.
- Should I include links in my article? Yes. You can include relevant links to travel resources and companies that you have used to travel with, or perhaps websites where people can find more information about what you’re talking about.
- Can I include links to my instagram / facebook / pinterest in my bio? Yep, no probs.
- How long should my bio. be? Just a few sentences about you; where you’re from, where you’ve travelled and any other interesting info.
2. Write / Update a Destination Page
We’re looking for writers to help us to write destination guides for our website (see example of Cusco, Peru guide).
As the travel scene in South America is constantly changing so is our website! We strive to bring you up to date information on our favourite places in South America, but sometimes you may actually know more than we do. With that in mind here are two ways that you can help us keep our website in tip top shape:
- Current destination page updates – Email us with any additions or revisions that you have about our current destination guides.
- New destination pages – Create a destination page for any place that we haven’t already covered. This could be your favourite place, somewhere off the beaten track* or your home town!
*We are particularly interested in unusual or off the beaten track places that are non-touristy, or brand new on the backpacker scene. So, if you’ve visited somewhere lately that was void of backpackers, then be the first to publish a destination guide on our website. If you’d like to run any ideas by us, feel free to contact us.
How will I structure my destination page?
- Introduction – Write a few attention-grabbing paragraphs that sum up the place that you have just visited. Remember, destination guides don’t always have to be positive. If you’ve got something negative to say about this place, be honest!
- Places to stay – Tell us about the particular areas that are best suited for backpackers. If you like you can recommend specific hostels/guesthouses that you visited during your trip.
- Things to eat (optional section) – If you’re a food lover (like us), you may like to include an extra section on must try dishes whilst in your destination.
- Things to do – Tell us how to spend our time, a bulleted list of at least six worthwhile activities.
- Getting there – Let us know how to reach this destination. Is it best to fly? Bus it? Walk? Parachute in from a private helicopter? (If so, we think you should try writing for another website)
- Where to go next? Lastly, recommend a couple of places that are logical to visit from this destination.
*Don’t forget your author bio – Just a few sentences about you; where you’re from, where you’ve travelled and any other interesting info. We’re happy to include links to your personal travel blog and social networking sites.
FAQs for Feature Articles
- How long should my destination page be? We’re not fussy! If you’ve got lots to say about your chosen destination, then please tell us!
- Should I include photos? If you can, please include photos to accompany your destination guide. We want photos of the landscape, food and any activities you tried. Selfies, not so much.
- What if I don’t have any photos? You can either find some ‘usage rights’ free images on Google and send them to us. Or, you can send us just your article and we can use some from our photo bank. It’s up to you.
Will you share my article on social media?
Hell yes! We want to share your article with as many people as possible. If you have a page for your travel blog on Facebook, we’ll link to it when we share and tag you on Twitter, Instagram or any other social network you fancy!
Why write for us?
- Back links to your website – While at this time we regret we cannot pay for articles, we can provide you with a personal bio, link back to your own travel blog and social media channels.
- Social media promotion – We will also promote your article on our own social media, which is a great way of boosting the traffic on your own blog!
- Kickstart your travel blogging career – South East Asia and South America Backpacker Magazine have helped to launch the career of many famous travel bloggers, who had articles published regularly in both our printed magazine and on our website. Their work for South East Asia Backpacker helped to expand the reach of their own travel blogs, and now many of them are professional travel bloggers!
Follow in the Footsteps of these South America Travel Bloggers…
- The Broke Backpacker
- Two Monkeys Travel
- Luke Away Now!
- Along Dusty Roads
- Cloud Mountain
- The Active Holiday
- Worldly Adventurer