Updated May 15th, 2018.
“A chilled out backpacker institution in the heart of adventure country, the perfect place to arrange rafting, paragliding, caving, kayaking and pretty much everything else! With a kitchen straight out of suburban America and a rooftop pool, you’ll feel right at home!”
Sam’s VIP Hostel: San Gil, Colombia
What makes Sam’s Hostel unique?
1. Awesome Activities: San Gil has long been a mecca for adventurous souls and is well known as the beating heart of Colombia’s adventure activity capital! Sam’s friendly staff can help you arrange everything from paragliding over the biggest canyon in all of South America to braving whitewater rapids, mysterious caves and rappeling down tumbling waterfalls!
2. Amazing Showers: When I first rocked up at Sam’s, I had been on the road for four months, I hopped in the shower and instantly felt rejuvenated. Sam’s hostel genuinely seems to have the best damn showers in all of South America – this may not sound like a big deal but after a hard days’ adventuring, trust me, it is!
3. Incredible kitchen: The kitchen at Sam’s is straight out of suburban America, we’re talking gleaming appliances, marble work-tops and everything you need to cook up a storm. Definitely, one of the best shared kitchens I have come across in a backpacker hostel!
4. Rooftop Pool: The perfect place to chill out with a beer after canyoning down waterfalls or tramping through the bush, invite the friendly staff in and they will probably join you!
5. Steak with Fried Ants: Just down the road from the hostel, Sam’s Steakhouse can deliver pretty much anything that takes your fancy right to the hostel bar! Try the delicious steaks complete with fried ant sauce – a local delicacy!
Prices: Dorms starting at 11 dollars. Privates available from 30 dollars.